Matthew's Reviews > The Stone Gods

The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson

Feb 14, 09

bookshelves: literary, scientastic
Read in February, 2009

I really love Winterson's early work, but she has been fading in recent years and I found her latest book to be a huge disappointment. Billed as a sort of science-fiction story, it reads more like a cranky diatribe about various random aspects of the modern world. At times this involves meaningful subjects, like the human propensity for war and environmental destruction, but it also involves complaining that everyone writes on computers instead of notebooks and romanticizing an imagined pastoral past where everyone grew their own food blah blah blah. The future that Winterson imagines is, in fact, pretty bland and unimaginative, more like a straw man projection of current frustrations than a meaningful attempt to examine human society.

More disappointingly, the romantic elements of this story simply do not work. This is really a shame, because it's usually where Winterson shines her brightest. I found these themes smashed in where they didn't belong, often trite, sometimes incomprehensible. I come away wanting two things: for "serious" authors to stay away from science fiction, and to go back and reread The Passion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stone Gods.