Frosted's Reviews > Gulliver's Travels

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

U_50x66
Mar 09, 09

Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Hmmmmm, I'd recommend an abridged version of this book. He was unnecessarily crude and could have got his point across without that. It was definitely an interesting book with food for thought. What I learned...It's true, humans are pretty rank. However, those pesky emotions which drive some of our sins, are God-given, and we need to learn to do the right thing in the face of temptation from other corrupt humans. Of course it would be easier to always do the right thing (and seemingly be happier) if we were alone on a deserted island. However, we were put here with others like us. Also, I believe to really be honorable, we actually need the other fallible creatures around us and our emotions. I don't think the houynhms (or however you spell it) are all they are cracked up to be and would not want to live in a society void of feeling. Actually I think their absence of feelings leads them to do the less honorable thing on some occasions.
I also agree with the end of the book which points out the absurdity of pride in one such as ourselves.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gulliver's Travels.

02/22/2009 page 104