Robyn's Reviews > And Still We Rise:: The Trials and Triumphs of Twelve Gifted Inner-City Students

And Still We Rise by Miles Corwin

Sep 04, 09

Read in August, 2009

Wow. What a realistic view of inner-city kids and their strive to actually make something of themselves and get out of the unfortunate circumstances life has given them.

Kudos to Corwin for getting viewpoints from the students, their teachers, their administrators, etc.
And I absolutely loved how nothing about these kids or their teachers was sugar coated. The kids aren't perfect--and even the ones who 'are' have some setbacks. Their 2 biggest teachers are also huge rivals and they aren't doing the kids any favors--between the bi-polar Toni Little and the oblivious Mama Moultrie (who, I agree, does teach works that are worth merit--but she needs to remember that substance and quality should go hand-in-hand).

I always love reading about kids who come from nothing getting somewhere (maybe because I can only hope the foster kids I represent see 'happy' endings). And I was impressed that of the 12 kids featured, at the time of printing, most of them were finishing college.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Still We Rise.

08/28/2009 page 50