Bob's Reviews > All-Star Superman, Vol. 1

All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

M_50x66
Feb 07, 09

** spoiler alert ** One of the best mainstream comics to come out recently. Frank Quitely is my favorite superhero artist. In contrast to many dark superhero comics these days, the stories are fun. Grant Morrison, who is one of the best writers in comics, does a great job, throwing out enough of his usual off-the-wall ideas without letting these ideas overwhelm the rest of the story (as he does sometimes). This book, which, I think, highlights the unique advantages of comics as a medium, looks better than a movie ever could. Quitely is able to do things in the book that would look silly on the screen with CGI effects. In a number of panels, Quitely uses long shots to convey an epic scale. There are also a number of iconic panels that stick in your head (the opening shot of Superman in front of the sun, the scene at his father's grave).
Beyond the visuals, the stories are more inventive than a studio would ever risk for a $200 million dollar movie. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you have enjoyed superhero movies, but never read any comics, you should try this book out. It should be noted that Morrison brings back some minor characters from prior Superman stories which made it, at times, a little hard to fully appreciate what he was doing without being a fanboy, which I am not. (I really didn't want to use that term, but couldn't think of a better way to put it).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All-Star Superman, Vol. 1.