Devon's Reviews > Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien

Jan 31, 10

bookshelves: own, favorites
I own a copy, read count: 5

This was my favorite book as a child. I read it a thousand times and I was ridiculously in love with Justin. I always loved it because of the little twists and turns and the simple but smart way it was written.

I haven’t read it in five years or more, however, so it was interesting going back to it for the first time in so long. First of all, it used to take me days to read the entire book. This time it took me two hours.

I think the pace I read it at indicates how entertaining the book can be for adults, or little girls who loved the book and only grew up a bit, anyway.

It’s still a smart little book. All of the little pieces of the puzzle are laid out so well and nothing is too easy or too sugar-coated. The rats in the book do a good job to put an end to their bad reputation in the human world, without being completely ridiculous.

The characters in this book are genuinely charming and lovable.

But, now, I have a few problems with it. Because it’s meant for children, perhaps, the book is too shallow and short. I wanted so much more depth in it. I wanted to know so much more about all of these characters and I wanted them to grow and develop. However, the only character who seems to change at all is Mrs. Frisby herself.

The plot is well done, but it lacks some little intricacies and details I would’ve liked. It was fascinating and I found myself wanting to know more about things.

And although I appreciate books with open endings, that let you mull over things and figure out and draw conclusions, the way this book ends really hurts me a little bit. And I can remember being devastated over it as a child.

I’m very interested in re-reading the two sequels that I know exist (that I don’t remember the plots to at all) and seeing what I think about them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.