Gardavson's Reviews > Darkfever

1948060
Apr 11, 10

bookshelves: paranormal, series-i-absolutely-recommend
Read in April, 2010

I debated throughout the book on its rating. Through most of it I probably would have given it a 3 star but by the end I felt it deserved a 4. Not that it wasn't good earlier on, there were just some things I wasn't sure on. Throughout the book the author frequently refers to things both as she did them then, and also how she would later see her actions in hindsight. It was well done, it didn't intrude upon the story, I just wasn't sure how I felt about it and how frequently she did it. But, no harm no foul, right? And it did add to the story by explaining that though she didn't think anything of it at the time, she would later realize how stupid/lucky/whatever she had been, or how close to danger she had come. It was different; I hadn't encountered that in a book before, but as I said, it didn't really detract from the story, was done in a non-annoying, non-distracting manner so...

In the book Mac finds her world turned upside down and backward when she travels to Ireland to try to encourage authorities to reopen the case regarding her sister's death. She discovers she is a very special sidh seer (she can see through the glamour projected by the Fae). Having lived in a small provential town, she had never encountered Fae before and had no idea they existed. Now, not only do they exist, but they are involved in her sister's murder.

Mac is a likeable character. She is finding depths she never knew she had. Though she resents any Barbie reference to herself, she pretty much did live, and live happily, in a Barbie existence - pink, pretty, and relatively shallow and self-involved. Not that she turns abruptly into Save-The-World-Sheera, but she slowly, and perhaps a bit reluctantly, realizes that perhaps their is a bit more depth to her than she thought.

The other difficulty I had is that there is so much unknown and mysterious. Can she trust Barrons? Yes. No. Yes. Maybe. Probably not but maybe a little. Anyone else? No. I prefer to have at least something solid and dependable, even if later they prove to be otherwise. But, I survived the heroine standing (precariously) on her own two feet.

Lots of mystery. By the end I was easily persuaded into reading the next in the series.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.