Rosemary's Reviews > Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public Health

Betrayal of Trust by Laurie Garrett

Feb 25, 09

Read in February, 2009

This book was extremely difficult to read in that the crisis she describes seems almost hopeless. I had read her book, The Coming Plague and it was scary in point out our lack of preparation and the dwindling supply of money and support given by our then Republican government.

I am hopeful that now that we have chosen Barack Obama that the greatness of our country will rise and we, as a people, will decide to again subscribe to the notion that a nation is only as great as the way it treats its most vulnerable citizens, not its CEOs. That's a paraphrase and I don't quite remember who said it, but I believe in it.

Back to the book, it is very factual and I hope many people read it and and that we do not fail the test of will. We must support health of all people everywhere for moral reasons and to protect us as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayal of Trust.

02/08/2009 page 185
24.09% "It is very difficult to read because it is depressing to learn what dire sraits we are in worldwide and in this country as well."
02/09/2009 page 245
31.9% "I am nearing the end of the part about the former USSR and that is cheering because the information is dire."
02/11/2009 page 373
48.57% "I am reading about the US betrayal of trust. Didn't know that Roosevelt and Truman tried for universal health care. I guess I didn't remem"
show 2 hidden updates…