J.D.'s Reviews > The Politics of Jesus: Vicit Agnus Noster

The Politics of Jesus by John Howard Yoder

Apr 20, 10

Read from March 10 to April 20, 2010

This was a book I've been wanting to read for quite a while so I definitely went in with high expectations. As I read through the introduction, I was extremely happy to find out that this would not be a book that simply perpetuated(or supported those who perpetuate) the social justice Jesus. In my opinion this does what many who support this do in providing for a narrow Jesus who has a very one dimensional agenda. Yoder makes it very clear that it will be a thorough study and will not settle for simply meeting any agenda.

With that said, however, the book gets off to a pretty slow pace and it is not really into the second half until he really gets into some of the meat and potatoes(or tofu and potatoes...all things to all people). Later on we are brought more fully into the realm of the kingdom that Jesus was bringing and announcing. It wad not what was expected and seemed to disappoint some, yet it was an enlargement of the nature of God.

Additionally in one of the last chapters we see some discussion on justification that is extremely similar to what had put Bishop Wright on the hot-seat in recent months. It was encouraging to see some of the beginning roots of when this analysis of the Reformation's opinion on justification with references to Stendahl and Markus Barth used to make his point. Yoder must not have had the same attention on him as Wright but it is helpful to note that in any fair analysis of the Bible there should never be a closed opinion. I enjoyed this book very much an would enjoy reading more by him in the future.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Politics of Jesus.