Julia's Reviews > Outliers: The Story of Success

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Jul 21, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in July, 2009

This book explores what is behind extremely successful people. Outliers means "something that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body." What makes one person a genius and another not? The author gives many fascinating stories of people who have made it big financially. Factors that contribute to success, he finds, are 1) when you were born & what month of the year you were born in, 2) where you come from (country, socio/economic background) 3) how much time a person puts in to what he is interested in (actually how many hours are spent practising/studying) and 4) having the opportunity and taking advantage of it. Really, a very fascinating read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outliers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edith (new)

Edith So what is the most auspicious month of the year to be born in?

Julia The first 2,3 or 4 months of the year. Those children are physically (in general) bigger than their classmates, more mature, and will be given more opportunities. The cutoff date for most sports teams excludes those born after the first part of the year. As you know, there are always exceptions, I was born in April....need I say more!

message 3: by Edith (new)

Edith I really don't understand what being born in a particular month has to do with physical stature! What rationale does this author give for this phenomenon?

Julia Well, I think it can be true, a child that has been born in Jan. can be in the same classroom as a child born later that same year in December. They are virtually a year apart, thus the differences in maturity and physical stature. The author also gave examples of how these older children are more often than not chosen for more responsibilities and given more opportunities. All those other factors that I mentioned earlier also come into play, such as the social class you were born into, the economic era, the culture, etc. He also gave some chilling data on what airlines have the most crashes, and why. It is complex, but so interesing! SOme other reviews on this book were rated pretty low. Some people just don't believe such "hogwash." I just find it fascinating.