Rob's Reviews > Bank Shot

Bank Shot by Donald E. Westlake

Feb 07, 09

I liked Westlake a lot when I was a teenager. Returning to this recently, I feared disappointment. It starts slowly and could have used tighter editing (quite a few not particularly apt similes are in the book, along with some lines explaining the obvious), but once the story gets rolling, which takes about twenty pages, there are at least a handful of places where I laughed out loud and numerous others where I smirked along. Basically, pretty much all the jokes work, and it's a comedy crime story with fully realized characters. so it achieves its main goals.

The plot premise - a bank while under construction is temporarily housed in a mobile home, thus tempting a gang of criminals to steal it - isn't so offbeat to seem impossible yet leaves Westlake numerous improbable situations to take advantage of.

Westlake died December 31, 2008, which is what brought him to my mind recently. Specifically the renowned editor Ellen Datlow wrote very highly of the numerous novels Westlake wrote under the name Richard Stark, and if anyone wants to recommend a favorite of those novels I'd love to check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bank Shot.