Patti's Reviews > Writing Irresistible KidLit: The Ultimate Guide to Crafting Fiction for Young Adult and Middle Grade Readers

Writing Irresistible KidLit by Mary Kole

Jan 27, 13

bookshelves: writing-advice
Read from January 13 to 27, 2013

I had the dubious honor of receiving one of Ms. Kole's form rejections last summer. And after finishing this book I know why. In the second to last chapter she discusses queries/submissions. And to quote her:

If you're only getting form declines, something's not working, and I'm betting it's your writing sample. Yes, your writing sample. Not your query, as so many writers hope. We can overlook a heinous query if the writing is brilliant, but never the other way around. (pg 259)

The good thing is, is that the entire book before this quote give us concrete examples on how to stop getting those form rejections. How our writing must sing, be fresh, deep and true, all at the same time. There is something to the adage one must write a million words before becoming an real writer.

There were a lot of things in this book that opened my eyes. Her chapter on Big Ideas, Characters, and Plots held so many gems I can't list them all. My daughter gave me an appalled look when she saw me underlining sentences in red. But it needed to be done.

The only reason why I've given this book only four stars is because I really wished she'd have put a chapter about revision in there including a look at how she approaches revising her clients' books. But maybe she's saving that for book 2. I can only hope that after applying and incorporating her thoughts on writing, the next time I query Ms. Kole, I'll at least get a personalized rejection. I'll consider that a success.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Irresistible KidLit.

01/17/2013 page 70
show 2 hidden updates…

Tracey i love this book and have underlined most of it:)...was going to recom it to you...but cool you've read it! Was thinking of you as I was reading it.