Tom's Reviews > The Professor's House

The Professor's House by Willa Cather

M_50x66
Feb 13, 09

Read in February, 2009

I would read this again, and most likely bump it up to four stars. It was almost there this time around, but the narrative shift from Godfrey St. Peter to Tom Outland threw me off a little.

When I read My Mortal Enemy this past fall, I was surprised to see how much I enjoyed Cather working with a more urban story. And that was what I was really digging with The Professor's House - its small-town setting, and its focus on relationships between people. Being taken out of that and resituated in a world of mountains and adobe houses was jarring and unappreciated, even if it absolutely made sense and was executed with the author's usual grace. (After all, no one writes about the relationships between people and the land quite like Willa Cather, or quite as well.)

So at the moment, yes, I liked this book. A reread will happen, but certainly not before I tackle some more Cather. The more I read of her, the more I love, and Lucy Gayheart, Youth and the Bright Medusa, and A Lost Lady are already on my bookshelf, waiting to be picked up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Professor's House.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moniker (new)

Moniker What a good influence you are!!! Let me know what you think of it!