Lizzy Lessard's Reviews > The 13th Sign

Nov 15, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy, mg, reviewed
Read in November, 2012

How much does your star sign affect your personality? According to the 13th Sign, it completely controls it. When Jalen unleashes the 13th zodiac sign, she changes the personality of everyone, including herself. This personality shift of all the characters did inhibit my ability to connect to the characters, as I wasn’t sure what they would do with the new personalities vs their old personalities. Ellie, Jalen’s best friend, is impersonated TOO well by Gemini, and the fact that Jalen couldn’t figure out who was who caused her to distance herself from Ellie. It’s a shame, because I liked both Ellie and her impostor. I’m not quite sure what was the point of Jalen constantly trying to figure out the real Ellie. It would work in a movie, but in a book where the two characters can change places, look identical, and there’s no possibility of inserting hints when the reader can’t keep visual track – it’s annoying.

The plot was very reminiscent of Percy Jackson, only the monsters and helpers didn’t seem to “happen” by any pattern. There was no buildup, in fact the pacing seemed to lag to the point of closing the book for good right before the next bad guy showed up. And then it was over too quickly and another boring spout of “will the real Ellie please stand up?” began. The helpers showed up as if the writer written herself into a corner…and it happened almost every chapter. Jalen and her friends weren’t able to solve anything on their own – unlike Percy Jackson and his friends.

I think this story would of been better as a series, and have Jalen vanquish only a couple a “monsters” in a book. Since she was running around trying to get from point A to point B and on a strict time limit, there wasn’t any room for subplots or character development. The story definitely did not live up to its potential.

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher/Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.)

Review to be posted on December 19th at Lizzy's Dark Fiction.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 13th Sign.