Caitlyn's Reviews > All Through the Night: A Troubleshooter Christmas

All Through the Night by Suzanne Brockmann

Feb 07, 09

Read in October, 2008

I'm a huge fan of Ms. Brockmann's Troubleshooters Series and have been looking forward to Jules and Robin's story, but this one didn't work so well for me. I liked it and thought the author did a good job but...I don't think it will be one that I will reread like I do with most of her other books.

Two major problems; inconsistencies (which I'll get to in a bit) and a feeling that this book just doesn't fit with the series. Ms. Brockmann writes in the author's note at the end of the book that Robin "mutinied and demanded his happy ending right away". Okay, I can understand that, I've had characters do the same thing but something in this book didn't ring true to me.

Perhaps it was that while I was reading, I kept getting the feeling I was being "preached to", that Ms. Brockmann had written this book primarily to show her support for gay and lesbian rights. I hate that I felt that way, because I agree with her, the freedoms we enjoy in this country should be extended to every single one of its citizens, including the right to marry the person we love no matter what their sex, race, etc., but...I didn't like that she'd used one of my favorite series to further her cause.

Now for the inconsistencies--the first I've ever noticed in this series, or maybe just the first that had the power to make me put the book down and go "huh?". Izzy, who got married somewhat suddenly in the previous book in the series, is not married in this one. Then there's Davis Jones. Quite a bit of the book is about Sam Starret trying to recruit Jones for the Florida office, but in the previous book, he's listed as one of the people they're going to bring in from the Florida office to help with the main character's situation.

So, while I really enjoyed this book, I don't think it will be one that I will read again. Which is a shame, because in my opinion, Ms. Brockmann is one of the best authors out there. I have every book in the TS series and I enjoy reading them over and over, but this one...probably not. Still, it's a good book and maybe after some time away from it, I'll pick it up again.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Through the Night.

Lori I'm just addressing the inconsistencies part of the review. Are you sure you didn't read the books in the wrong order? I just read them (in order), and I don't recall any of this being inconsistent. The order is Forces of Nature (#11), then this book All Through the Night (#12), then Into the Fire (#13), then Dark of Night (#14), and finally Hot Target (#15). Izzy doesn't get married until book #13, which comes after this one. I'm not trying to criticize, just maybe point it out so it won't always bug you that an author you like messed up. Hope this helps!