Jen's Reviews > A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

1975074
Feb 06, 09

Read in February, 2008

I'm not sure that I've ever read anything more descriptive, more horrifying, or more true to life, and death than this book. Dave Eggers tells the heartbreaking story of raising his significantly younger brother after both of their parents die, a couple of months apart, from cancer. The book is loaded with descriptions of cancer, chemo, and "the green stuff" (which, if you've ever seen cancer up close, you'll know what he's talking about). I won't lie, it is a devastating read, especially if you've lost someone to cancer, but well worth the lessons it teaches. You will learn much about dying, but you will also learn that life goes on, even when it isn't sure how to. I would not suggest reading this book immediately after losing someone, it will not provide comfort in any form, but wait a year or two. Let the wound begin to heal and then read this. I hope that it will offer you as much understanding as it offered me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.