Chrissie's Reviews > Shark Dialogues

Shark Dialogues by Kiana Davenport

Feb 08, 11

bookshelves: hf, medical, islands, text-checked, usa, dumped, swap, hawaii
Read from February 05 to 08, 2011

I liked the first 70ish pages about the matriarch Kelonikoa, the daughter of a Tahitian chief. The writing was colorful and vibrant. Hawaiian history and geogarphy were wonderfully described.

But now, Pono, Kelonikoa's great granddaughter, has come on stage. The writing is just too dramatic, too graphic - with slaughter and rape and magical realism that is simply too weird. I am fighting my desire to just dump this book. I REALLY am not enjoying myself. Usch, do I have to continue with this....... I am on page 126 of 492. There is no map, and you have to constantly look up the Hawaiian words in the glossary at the back.

I am going to bed. I will do anything but read this book.

I forgot to mention, neither is there any humor. After sleeping on it, I have decided NOT to continue. Parts were well written, so I am giving it two stars. Frankly, maybe the book is OK, but it just isn't my cup of tea. I feel like I am a quitter, but I just don't want to read this!!!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shark Dialogues.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maude (new)

Maude Chrissie, I am so glad you didn't finish this book. Life is too short to read something you don't like. If I start a library book and don't like it after 2 or 5 chapters, voila - I'm done. So go find one that you love!

message 2: by Chrissie (last edited Feb 08, 2011 10:56PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chrissie YES, I feel so relieved. Only I bought this book so I also feel a bit guilty and mad at myself!!! If I don't try other types of books I will also miss out, so I guess it was good I tried. BUT HOW DID THIS BOOK END UP WITH A RATING OF OVER 4 STARS ?!!! I must be weird in not liking it!

message 3: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret No, you aren't weird, Chrissie. I tried to read The Shark Dialogues some time ago and couldn't do it. I didn't say anything about that when you started reading it because you and I don't always agree on books.

Chrissie Well, we agree on this! :0) Will I like Molokai? I think others know me better than myself! I want to feel for the characters. I want to learn Hawaiian history. And a little humor thrown in is always nice!

Tara Chevrestt I think everyone loves Molokai. I think it is the best book I have ever read in my life. Really.

I liked the first half of this one and pretty much stuck with just that. The second half I skimmed. I couldn't stand the girls and their problems.

Chrissie Tara, I kept that in mind when I decided to skip the book. I even at trouble with Pono!