Molly's Reviews > The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly: New England Patriots: Heart-Pounding, Jaw-Dropping, and Gut-Wrenching Moments from New England Patriots History

The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly by Sean Glennon

Feb 15, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: sports
Recommended to Molly by: X-Mas gift to Andy from Mom & Dad
Read in February, 2009

This book is presented as a history of the team and I expected it to be an impartial telling. However, it is really a fan book with quite a bit of homerism. Don't get me wrong - I pretty much agree with basically all of said homeristic points of view - however, it comes across as a little juvenille.

I found out after picking up the book to read it that this is a whole series - you can find one of these about your favorite team - in a variety of sports. So it obviously is marketed to fans of their specific teams who wouldn't mind reading about opinions they share. But if you want to read about the history of the team, this probably isn't the best series to use.

I did think that in this Patriots one the writer did a good job on the chapters telling about the people within the game, rather than the chapters covering game details where he presented too much of a personal opinion. One final point is that the book is written so that you can pick it up and read any chapter in any order - but it does become a bit repetitive if you read it from cover to cover because there are a lot of topics that intersect.

Fun and easy read if you just want to have feelings about your team validated. Good representation of the players/coaches/owners. Bad source for an unbiased history of the team.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly.

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Good heads up on the stand-alone nature of the chapters, Molly. Knowing that, I'm probably going to read them out of order.

Molly Steve wrote: "Good heads up on the stand-alone nature of the chapters, Molly. Knowing that, I'm probably going to read them out of order."

No problem. I prefer chronological reading but this one is set up in groupings to follow the title - "good, bad, ugly" which for the Patriots has gone in the reverse of that - which makes sports life a lot more enjoyable for me in the present day so I shouldn't really complain.