Discoverylover's Reviews > Private Peaceful

Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: books-read-2009, books-read-2008, books-that-made-me-cry, kids, pc, read-in-under-24-hours, re-reads, audio-book, books-read-2011, books-read-2012, man-author
Recommended for: people interested in world war one
read count: 7

I bought this after reading it twice over the weekend as a bookring and loving it both times. One of the most touching WW1 stories I've read, tackling a tough topic in a beautiful, beautiful way. When reading this for the first time, I remember feeling like the book was building up to something terrible, but I had to keep reading, which for me is the sign of a terrific book!

Here's the blurb:

"A stunning novel of the First World War.

They've gone now, and I'm alone at last. I have the whole night ahead of me, and I won't waste a single moment of it... I want tonight to be long, as long as my life...

As young Thomas Peaceful looks back over his childhood from the battlefields of the First World War, his memories are full of family life deep in the countryside.

But the clock is ticking, and every moment Tommo sends remembering how things used to be, means another moment closer to something which will change his life for ever."

Re-read 2012 after seeing the stage performance which was WONDERFUL!! Now looking forward to the film coming our later this year (hopefully!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Private Peaceful.