Pamela Pickering's Reviews > Blowing My Cover: My Life as a CIA Spy

Feb 06, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: memoirs, non-fiction
Read in February, 2009

I'm a little torn on this one. While finding it an enjoyable and easy read I also tend to doubt some of its veracity. I say this simply by having family members in various government positions and I know it can be difficult to get things published OR often there are some, let me see how to explain this, less than truthful things put out there to get people to believe the wrong thing--manipulation so to speak. Yes, I'm aware that last statement hardly made sense but cut me a little slack, I'm having a serious bout of insomnia.

I did like the use of terms and codes and the description of the "farm" but I find it interesting that some of these nervous people "passed" the training. And what about stating that none of the people in her group could master the trouser floatie option in water survival class? My whole 8th grade swimmer's rescue class passed that without any problems--CAKE! Not that we couldn't pick them out before, but now when someone tells you that they were a CIA Agent we can now ask the loser (who is most probably lying) if he was a CIA Agent or Case Officer and now know the difference.

While being quite bright, it's obvious the author was very naive in her venture of wanting to join "the company" (a term she did not address). Still, I don't doubt the passages that referred to her inner turmoil regarding her job. I would still recommend it to others as an interesting read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blowing My Cover.

02/06/2009 page 45
15.25% "Stones from the River was starting to drone for me so I am taking a break to something lighter. Enjoying it so far."