Rhianna's Reviews > Dark Highland Fire

Dark Highland Fire by Kendra Leigh Castle

2000093
Feb 07, 09

Read in November, 2008

Rowan an Morgaine has been forced away from her home realm. Stuck on earth hiding in a nest of vampires and taking her clothes off in a seedy Reno strip-club, no one would know she's really an exiled demi-goddess. But as any strong woman knows, sometimes you have to do what you have to do to stay alive so that eventually you can have your revenge. With her family slain by Lucien Andrakkar, a dragon shapeshifter who wants her for his bride, she must remain in hiding or risk being carried back to Coracin and forced into marriage.

When Lucien finds her and her brother, Bastian, swoops in just in time to save her, she finds herself dumped on Gabriel MacInnes. As a werewolf and the second son of the pack alpha, Gabriel hasn't had much purpose in life save for running his bar. Bouncing from woman to woman he's certainly not known for being easy to tie down. But there's something so irritating and at the same time irresistable about Rowan. She doesn't want to be protected by Gabriel and the fact that he takes his duty seriously only maddens her. All Rowan wants to do is save what little remains of her family from further destruction at the hands of her would-be husband. If only she wasn't as attracted to Gabriel as he is to her.

I honestly wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book. Kilted highlander werewolves, maybe? Aside from Gabriel being from the highlands this book really didn't have anything to do with them. Instead this book focused greatly on Coracin and the races that call it home from the dragons and the Dyadd to the demons. What really got me into it was the well executed mythos of the world and how it tied to Earth. That can be a hard thing to pull off but Castle did this quite flawlessly. While it certainly walks the borders of fantasy as much as paranormal romance this didn't have the urban overtones a lot of paranormals have these days.

Gabriel and Rowan made a surprisingly refreshing duo. Both a bit hot-headed and stubborn they played well off one another and their attraction was very fire and ice. The romance was actually over-shadowed by the world dilemnas of the dragons and the werewolves as well as Lucien's attempts to make Rowan his. I found myself pitying Lucien long before the book was finished and I'm quite certain the plot twist relating to Rowan and Lucien will be obvious to most readers from the first hints. Even though it was predictable it was a very enjoyable plot twist that helped to settle the entire story. I am definitely looking forward to the next book which will focus on Rowan's brother Bastian. Overall a very entertaining book with a great mythology... now I just need to go back and read the first one! I think anyone who enjoys a good fantasy story with shapeshifters should check these out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Highland Fire.