Raina's Reviews > If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period

If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period by Gennifer Choldenko

Feb 06, 2009

liked it
Read in February, 2009

Light, quick read which gently deals with some tough topics.
Told in alternate chapters - from first person perspective of Kirsten, then third person perspective inside Walk's head. At first I thought this was a worlds-collide story along the lines of "Perfect Chemistry" (which I haven't read yet, but have on hold), but it turns out not so much. I enjoyed seeing Walk's perspective of Kirsten (and upper-class white society in general). A little cliched, but plays with those stereotypes as well. There's a lot packed into this bouncy read. Some of the villains were a bit too villainous, but did soften a bit toward the end. I did appreciate that the "big secret" wasn't quite as cliched as you expect it to be. Kinda wish Choldenko's done first person for both characters, and wish the cover skewed a bit more androgynous so I could sell it more easily to boys. I love the Walk content.
And the more I think and talk about it, the more I like it. It's twisty in a way you don't expect.

And that is my scattered review for the day. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period.