Emily's Reviews > Still Here: Embracing Aging, Changing and Dying

Still Here by Ram Dass

Mar 05, 09

bookshelves: spirituality, favorites
Read in March, 2009

I laughed aloud and then lapsed into a contemplative silence when I recently encountered a church sign which read, "Ten out of ten people die. Are you ready?"

After reading Ram Dass' Still Here, I'm ready.

With gentleness and compassion, spiritual pioneer and stroke survivor Ram Dass guides readers in an exploration of two much maligned - yet inevitable - human undertakings, aging and dying. The wisdom he shares is simple and profound: Yes, we are our bodies, but we are also infinitely more.

As we age, Ram Dass reminds us, the focus of our lives gradually shifts from activity to stillness - a sometimes frightening prospect for a society that places such enormous emphasis on productivity and accomplishment, not to mention the physical beauty, good health, and independence which youth often swaps for old age.

Grounded by his own human experience and illuminated by years of spiritual study and practice, Ram Dass' insights invite us to begin stripping away the layers of fear surrounding our own inevitable futures. In doing so, we find that aging is just as beautiful, just as much a blessing, just as much an opportunity for growth, as the youth we often cling to.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Here.