Donald's Reviews > Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

Locke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe Hill

Feb 16, 09

bookshelves: 2009, graphic-novels
Read in February, 2009

I picked this up because after reading 20th Century Ghosts and Heart Shaped Box, I was in for all things Joe. But this is a graphic novel, a comic, a cartoon. Yeah, I know I'm overly pragmatic. Please don't cringe like that, we call 'garbagemen' sanitation engineers in this brave new PC world of ours.

First, as a printer/one who prints, I can appreciate the amount of ink required to put this together. Nice print job (although I'm really upset that it was printed in Korea) and the satin ribbon placemark is a nice touch. Gabriel's artwork is well done and the story relies on him to do some of the telling.

Calling the town Lovecraft is just corny. Calling the family Locke and having special magic keys that turn doorways into something other than what they truely are is clever/corny.

Once I got past the corn (by rereading the first chapter before moving on) I did get the story. But this is only part of the story, this is only volume one. It's a thin light read that doesn't beg for more. It is a short story turned novella by virtue of its graphic representation.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locke & Key, Vol. 1.