Paula's Reviews > The Opal Deception

The Opal Deception by Eoin Colfer

Feb 06, 09

Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

I was glad that this book was able to not concern itself too much on the Fowl parents. Instead, it focused on Artemis's own transformation from criminal to hero as an independent decision based on his concern for others who are important to him.

Actually, there isn't all that much of Artemis in this story, but that's okay, too, as the nemesis from The Arctic Incident, Opal Koboi, is after everyone who helped thwart her last series of dastardly deeds. Not only does Artemis need saving (and reminding of his relationship to the People), but he also needs to help Holly clear her name because she was set up as the murderer of her former superior.

The one thing that always bothers me about the Artemis Fowl books is that I can't always figure out exactly what's going on. Generally I don't bother to picture what I'm reading, but I feel like I need to when reading these books since many events take place underneath the Earth's surface. And I just can't picture these places and contraptions. Luckily, I can read through them and still understand what's going on, but that still does take away a little bit of the story for me.

Otherwise, the beat goes on, and it's obvious that Artemis comes back to help Holly again in her future endeavors outside of the LED. It's a quick, exciting book to read that furthers the series as well as the characters within it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Opal Deception.