Holli's Reviews > March

March by Geraldine  Brooks

Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: book-group, historical-fiction
Read in March, 2009

I liked this book and most everyone in our book group did too. Of course, I share a lot of the same views as the main character and I tend to be idealistic and maybe some would even call me naive . . . .

The author did a good job of handling flashbacks. We were able to get the whole story in a very seamless account, even though we traveled around quite a bit in March's life.

3 things I want to remember:
The Quaker belief: "There is that of God in every person and therefore you may not enslave any man, and neither may you kill him even to liberate the enslaved." p. 168.

"It came to me that if the fortunes of this war do not turn, then maybe the city (Washington)is destined to be no more than this: ruins, merely, sinking back into the swamp; the shards of an optimistic moment when a few dreamers believed you could build a nation upon ideas such as liberty and equality." p. 216

"And even as I said this, I knew that if I stood again in the cattle show ground, and heard him promise to go to war, I would hold my piece, again, even knowing what terrible days were to follow. For to have asked him to do otherwise would have been to wish him a different man. And I knew then that I loved this man. This inconstant, ruined dreamer." p. 259

Overall, I think Brooks does a fine job of handling a difficult situation--Civil War--without glorifying it or sentimentalizing it. There are no easy answers and I appreciate an author who trusts her readers enough to allow them to struggle with the questions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read March.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dottie What was the tone of discussion as far as the characters of March and Marmee regarding similarities and differences in Brooks version and LMA's version and relative to the real life Bronson Alcott and his wife?