Jack's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

2001989
Mar 13, 11

bookshelves: 00-pre-2008, action, fantasy, favorites, fiction
Read in December, 2001

I remember it like it was yesterday. But, I might have got the date mixed up. It was the week the movie was released in my country, Christmas was approaching and there was this big hype over a movie made based on a book. Back then, I had no idea who JK Rowling was and the only Chris Columbus I knew was the dead explorer. Needless to say, as a young girl who just got around the idea of being able to go out on weekends without my mother tagging along, I skipped at the first chance of seeing the movie. It was the school holiday and the place was packed - jammed packed. My friend and I, we were only too lucky to score two tickets to see the very first movie and by the time we both walked out, I couldn't help but wanted to get a copy of the book so bad.

And so we went to the bookstore, imagine my surprise when the very first book was out of prints and there weren't going to be anymore for at least another few weeks. Annoyed, I was considering leaving empty handed. Luckily, I didn't. I scanned through the first page of the book and realized I couldn't care less if I skipped the first one and I'm just going to read it even if it was the last thing I do. So, I bought the book along with another two titles which was out by then and rushed home.

I spent the entire day after the movie curled up on the old chair in our old house. It was extremely uncomfortable if you have nothing to focus on. Alas, I had something to focus on. From the very first page, I was hooked with the world JK Rowling had created. The idea of this one boy with a magical power and how he had to overcome the challenge was intriguing. I find myself thrown into the magical world and could see the hallways as if I was there myself. I was practically... Home.

JK Rowling is an amazing writer. She could pulled you into the story and make you sit there and read it all. I took in the story as if it would be the end if I stopped. I could see myself in Harry's shoes at one moment and the next in Hermione. Ron continously gave me a reason to laugh with his lack of manners or completely absurd theories. It was a story about a boy who never asked for much, he was always pushed around and then he was the boy who lived.

I would say the book was better than the first one, only, I didn't read the first book until well after I read the fourth. It took months for me to get it. Nonetheless, the book alone is good. The jokes, the flying cars, all the imaginary things that you would not say possible in the real world became real. JK create a magical world that no other could very well compare to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Quotes Jack Liked

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets