Cynthia's Reviews > Princess of the Silver Woods

Dec 13, 12

bookshelves: enchant-me, first-reads-arcs, teen-bopper, with-a-twist, 002
Read from November 13 to 16, 2012

3.5 stars;

Princess Petunia is on her way to "granny's" castle when she's held up by a 2-legged grey eyed wolf. Turns out he's more like Robin Hood. Oliver, the young earl who was cheated out his home by the war with Analousia, is forced to steal in order to feed his people and survive. Turns out Oliver's actually a totally sweetheart and after the kerfuffle, he escorts Petunia to the Grand Duchess. As Petunia settles in, she can't stop stop thinking about the young earl, but and it seems an old enemy has some unfinished business with the princesses before they can have their happily ever after.

Petunia, the youngest of the princesses, is brave but a bit impulsive. She's the titular Princess of this book, though we do get a visit from all the princesses and their husband (and a couple other familiar faces). It was both good and bad for me because while it was nice to catch up on the family, it almost took too much away from Petunia. Especially regarding her relationship with Oliver. I would have loved to see them more together, they were just so adorable.

Similarly, while the Princess series book technically can all be standalone, this one shows the return of King Under Stone (and co.). It provides a nice closure but it almost feels a little repetitive, especially when was suppose to be a Little Red Riding Hood/Robin Hood twist. It ended up using just a hint of those two fairy tale rather than being a mainstay in the plot and as 2 of my favourite tales, it was rather a bit disappointing that it didn't live up to my expectation.

However, overall another wonderful book by Jessica Day George, I'm quite sad that this is the last book in the series (with 12 princesses, you can definitely have a look of stories!). The book gives me the happy ending I want and ties things up neatly. While I think Book 1 (Princess of the Midnight Ball) and Book 2 (Princess of Glass) can very easily be standalones, I do highly recommend reading the series to fully enjoy Princess of the Silver Woods.

{*Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for the e-ARC.Original review can be found at Bookmunchies
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Silver Woods.