Claudine's Reviews > The Next Thing on My List

The Next Thing on My List by Jill Smolinski

Feb 07, 2009

Read in February, 2009

I picked this book up at the library on a whim and I'm glad I did, it was a really cute story. The plot is simple - June needs to finish a "list of things to do before I die" list for Marissa, who died in a car wreck they shared. Checking all the items on the list is June's big wake-up call as she faces her guilt, grief, loneliness, and sense of identity.

I think there is something very satisfying about crossing items off lists, and it was fun to read the story to see how each item was eventually crossed off. Some things led to life-altering changes, some were funny, some were just little things, but each one brought her closer to the girl whose dream it was to fulfill the list as well as helping her to find herself.

I was very surprised by the end of the book to see the love story that developed. It crept up on me and took me a little off guard and was actually very satisfying.

This is a fun story, rather light-hearted but still dealt with tough issues. There is a fair amount of profanity and sexual references, but it was still a cute story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Thing on My List.