All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Cold Copper

Cold Copper by Devon Monk

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

COLD COPPER is another exciting installment of the Age of Steam series with a solid mix of steampunk and supernatural elements. I liked how it almost felt like a thriller as the plot moved at a constant pace and there was an intensity of wondering what danger lurks on the next page for Cedar and his friends. It was also nice to see that the search for the Holder wasn’t dropped completely and brought up randomly at the end as an afterthought.

Along with various sorts of steampunk technology there are a lot of interesting paranormal aspects such as Cedar Hunt and his brother’s Pawnee god werewolf curse. The background for the curse is really fascinating and it is interesting to see a ‘shifter’ who doesn’t want to be one and works hard to find a way to fix himself. I loved Cedar’s brother Will though I wished he had more time as a human (he’s stuck in wolf form for most of the book) as he is is an extremely funny and charming character.

In COLD COPPER, Cedar Hunt and his friends have really become a family unit and it shows in their amusing banter and familial bickering. All of the characters are wonderfully written and each has their own truly unique and compelling backstory. I adored the Madder brothers and their abilities to create really bizarre objects and interact with stone in fantastical ways.

Like the Madder brothers the rest of the characters in COLD COPPER definitely had more mystical paranormal abilities than a lot of other steampunk books I’ve read which gave the story a more mysterious and even eerie tone. Filled with a combination of mysticism, steampunk technology, and adventure COLD COPPER is an excellent addition to the Age of Steam series. I am looking forward to what is in store next for Cedar Hunt and his friends.

Sexual content: references to sex
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Copper.

07/01/2013 marked as: read