Colleen's Reviews > The Girl She Used to Be

The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano

Feb 05, 09

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in February, 2009

This well-written book traces one woman's attempt to carve out an identity from the tattered remains of a life. Alone, and constantly on the run, Melody has no true connections to anyone other than the agent who has run her case since she was six years old. When he retires, and a new agent takes over, Melody's attempt to resolve questions about her life and her presence in the program take on new dimensions when she is confronted with a killer who knows her name. As she finds herself drawn to the son of the man who ordered her death, she still tries desperately to find some semblance of a normal life.

As the book progresses, it becomes clear that Melody's many questions about her life (and possibly her death) will never be truly answered by anyone. I did find the romantic relationship between Melody and Jonathan hard to believe, though Cristofano did do a good job building up psyche that might allow her to have feelings for her would-be-assassin.

The ending was fabulous- I found myself reluctant to turn the pages, afraid at any moment that the worst would happen as a crescendo of action and violence built. Despite my reservations about a central plot element (the love between Melody and Jonathan), I must confess the finale of the book was a magnificent twist that redeemed the entire novel.

I read this book in one sitting the day that it arrived, and know that it has a bright future. This unsual look at the Witness Protection Program receives a solid 4 stars- highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl She Used to Be.