Sophie's Reviews > Seven Japanese Tales

Feb 05, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories
Read in February, 2009

"(they say that Sasuke disliked seeing her laugh. I suppose he found it painful, since there is something poignant about a blind person's laughter.)"-17

the first line of Tanizaki's story "Terror" totally blew my mind: "It was early last June while I was in Kyoto that the illness menaced me."

"Since I often looked up at her as she held me in her arms, I could see her nostrils clearly."-108

"I am not writing out of any desire to have others read this. At least, I don't intend to let anyone see it as long as I am alive. If someone happens across it after my death, there will be not harm in that; but even if it is lost on oblivion, if no one ever reads it, I shall have no regret. I write for the sake of writing, simply because I enjoy looking back at the events of the past and trying to remember them one by one."-140

"And the merchandise displayed behind the glass on both sides was bright and colorful, with the fascinating, mysterious luster of a garden at the bottom of the sea."-199

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Japanese Tales.