Laura Spaulding's Reviews > Ella Enchanted

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

1985596
Feb 05, 09

This was my absolute favorite book when I was a kid. I still have my first copy of it; the poor thing is so tattered and yellowed. It's a story about a girl placed under a spell by a fairy at birth and the journey she goes on to rid herself of the curse. Fairies, trolls, evil step mothers, magic-you name it, this book has it. I refuse to see the disney movie version. The book (although a fairy tale) was rather dark (death, curses, evil people, ect), and i'm sure disney completely butchered that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ella Enchanted.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katherine It was a good idea not to watch the movie version - it was completely and utterly HORRIBLE! In addition to being weirdly musical and having a few really obnoxious and strange portrayals of characters, the plot changed near the end and became ridiculously different: a new bad guy was added and what I think was the best scene, when Char finds Ella at her home as a servant and she breaks the curse, wasn't even there! But anyway, this book was always my favorite too, and my original copy probably looks similar to yours.

Laura Spaulding Katherine wrote: "It was a good idea not to watch the movie version - it was completely and utterly HORRIBLE! In addition to being weirdly musical and having a few really obnoxious and strange portrayals of charact..."

ewwww! silly disney, there was nothing musical about that book. and that was one of my favorite scenes as well! how could they get rid of that?

Contrary My original copy is bruised and battered, as well. I've probably read it fifteen times, by my estimate, so I've pretty much got it memorized. Ella Enchanted will always be my absolute favorite book. :D

Emily It's still my favorite book, and as such, I think it's the most battered book on my shelf.

I recently stumbled upon the movie when it was on tv. There were elves singing. I immediately turned it off. It could have been good if they had stuck to the book is what's sad....