Adriana's Reviews > Dreadful Acts

Dreadful Acts by Philip Ardagh

F_50x66
Feb 05, 09

Dreadful Acts, the second book in Philip Ardagh’s, The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, tells a fictional tale about the witty, ill-fated quests of Eddie Dickens.
In this sequel, Eddie Dickens is caught up in a whole mess of trouble seemingly after meeting The Great Zucchini (an escapologist). He is almost blown up to pieces due to the fault of Mad Uncle Jack leaving the gas on and his father (Mr. Dickens) lighting a cigar to smoke. Getting trampled by frightened horses pulling a hearse. Crashed by a hot air balloon steered by Daniella (The Great Zucchini’s lovely assistant) and arrested for a crime he was thought to be involved in. What makes situations worse than they already were, Eddie comes across a dangerous gang of escaped convicts (Bonecrusher, Swags and Barkin’) from Grimpen Jail and kidnaps him for an errand they need.
I enjoyed reading Dreadful Acts. It was very interesting and entertaining because everything that seems to be going wrong. My favorite character was the protagonist himself, Eddie Dickens because he survived through all of that drama and became a hero by the end of the story. This book was indeed descriptive. Philip Ardagh has a way with details when it comes to informing his readers. I could visualize every event that happened especially with sketches provided within the pages. An issue this book relates to is how criminals escape from jail and continue their routine of committing thefts and murders.
I would recommend Dreadful Acts for children who would want some sense of adventure and a good laugh before bed. If you liked A Series Of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, you’ll surely like this one because of the attention-grabbing plot followed in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreadful Acts.