Rhianna's Reviews > Shadow Kiss

Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead

2000093
Feb 07, 09

Read in January, 2009

After the tragedy of Frostbite, Rose and her friends are coping as best they can. Bearing her first molnija marks might be a bit of a status symbol but their earning was bittersweet. As her final months at St. Vladimir's begin winding down the guardians are facing their field experience testing. They'll be facing weeks of practice guarding their Moroi classmates from their instructors pretending to be Strigoi. Expecting to be paired with Lissa, Rose's field experience should be easy. But when she sees the ghostly image of Mason and freezes at her first attack everything goes downhill.

For the first time in her life Rose is beginning to question the life of a Dhampir. Becoming Lissa's guardian means she will never choose what classes to attend or where she will live. The guardian standard "They come first." suddenly doesn't have such a great ring to it. Meanwhile, Lissa continues to practice her spirit magic with Adrian causing turmoil with Christian. When Adrian begins to see how Lissa's magic use is affecting Rose the mystery of St. Vladimir and shadow kissed Anna holds answers Rose isn't ready to face. She's always known she may one day have to give her life to protect Lissa but can she? When an unexpected threat breaks over the academy the students' lives are forever changed but none moreso than Rose who has to choose whether to protect her best friend or fulfill a promise to the man she loves.

As with the first two books, I very much enjoyed being emersed in the world of St. Vlad's. In just three short books Rose has gone from mouthy runaway to seasoned guardian. It was great to see her beginning to question whether she really wants to live her life for Lissa. That aspect of the Dhampir/Moroi relationship has always bugged me. It was also enjoyable seeing Rose put into a position she didn't expect no matter how upset she got.

I will say that I struggled with the pacing this time around. I also felt that the events of Frostbite seemed as if they were being overlooked almost as if they had happened a very long time ago instead of just a couple of weeks. I've always looked forward to Rose's interactions with Christian and Adrian but both characters seemed different this time around, not bad just... as if they weren't being written with their usual stronger personalities. The focus was definitely more on Dimitri and I know many readers of the series adore him but I've always found him boring. I had hoped that the extra focus would make me like him more and approve of his relationship with Rose but I was again unable to find a spark for him. Without spoiling anything I feel it is safe to say that the next book, Blood Promise, will be mostly Rose and Dimitri again.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Kiss.

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca question, is that the official title of the 4th book? Blood Promise? I'm just wondering because i havent been able to figure out if she's actually planning on writing another or not..

Rhianna Yes it is. She's got the info up on her website and you can pre-order the book on Amazon.com (and probably B&N's site too). I don't want to spoil anything if you haven't read this book yet but she left it set up for the fourth and I am pretty sure I read Richelle mentioning working on edits on the book on her blog too. Hope that helps! :)

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca :D thanks so much!
i havent read Shadow kiss yet, but i know basically everything that happens because i took one of the polls on here about the book just for kicks and ended up answering a question about what happens to dimitri and i screamed and had to look at spoilers :S
but wow. idk how im going to be able to handle reading the 3rd one and then waiting for the 4th!!!
anyway, again, thank you so very much :)

Rhianna hehe Oh darn those spoilers! It was hard not to say what happened since it changes the context of the series so much but I hate ruining a good ending. I'm very much looking forward to Blood Promise. I think the release date on it is August or September of this year. So only a handful of months... there are some other pretty good books like this out there you might try in the meantime. I really liked the book Evernight by Claudia Gray. The second book just came out but I haven't had time to read it yet. I also was surprised and like Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Darkside... I thought it would be kinda cheesy because of the title but it was actually really good.

Anyways... good luck finding some good books to keep you busy and welcome to Good Reads!

message 5: by Becca (new)

Becca hahaha i know seriously!
well..i read vamp academy in roughly 2-3hours..i tend to get into books real easy lol so idk how much other books will compensate for the time. but thanks for the suggestions :) ill have to check those out now for sure.
haha i appreciate that :)

Mrs. Jack Sparrow *Leah :D* omg thnx soo much!! i read the 1st two books and im getting the third from the library tommorrow and i just had to get an idea of what would happen!! thnk u!