Rhianna's Reviews > The Iron Hunt

The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu

2000093
Feb 07, 09

Read in September, 2008

She is Earth's last protector. Hunter Maxine Kiss is the only thing standing between our world and the prison veils that keep demons from taking over our home. Passed down from mother-to-daughter for generations her own demons protect her body by day, resting as tattoos on her skin. At night her demons walk beside her, allies and parasites in their own right.

I wish I could offer more details on the plot. A better synopsis, but I spent most of the time I was working through this book back-tracking trying to figure out what I had missed. Were there lines I needed to be reading between perhaps? Liu is a great author, she has a wonderful imagination, but there was something missing in this story. I later found out part of that may have been because the story actually begins in an anthology. Some readers may like this but I found it to be a stumbling block. Why should I be forced to go out and buy an anthology so I could get the first chapters of this new series?

I tried to like it. I was very interested in the demons and how they came to be passed to Maxine and her maternal bloodline before her. Unfortunately very little was explained to help this part of the story along and while there were secondary characters I wanted to know more about and see more of I ended up finding Maxine herself to be a bit too two-dimensional for my tastes as a reader.

If you're a hard-core urban fantasy fan or demon slayers are a favorite heroine type for you this series might turn out to be right up your alley. For me, the results are still out there... I'll be waiting a while before bothering with any further installments.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Hunt.