Andrei Alupului's Reviews > Snow Crash

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Mar 05, 09

Read in March, 2009

A blast front to back, even when its stabs at hipness get inevitably dated (I wonder if some weren't to begin with, but whatever). Fast, funny, and constantly surprising/inventive, takes as much from post-modern fiction as it does from cyberpunk (oh, book jacket quotes although I mean, duh obviously, maybe I shouldn't even write it oh whatever) resulting in really fun moments in this alternate (now past) present, like Bruce Lee heading a gang of vicious pirates and the entire world turning into a bunch of franchise countries and the US becoming a nearly impotent and completely uptight, intentionally somewhat primitive and completely paranoid country with almost zero consequence. And the Mafia delivers pizzas! Boy, you laugh and you get twisted into some new zany notion every other page - I'd love to see this get made into a movie but it'd probably cost a billion dollars, check it out! Occasionally technically flawed, and it feels a little rushed at moments partly due to its intentional breakneck pace getting ahead of itself and partially due to a legitimately abbreviated-feeling end section, but basically constantly satisfying and never a chore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Crash.