Mia's Reviews > Massacre of the Dreamers: Essays on Xicanisma

Massacre of the Dreamers by Ana Castillo

F 50x66
Feb 05, 2009

As a woman searching for stories to illuminate my path or cast guidance on certain struggles--be they in love, work, motherhood, sexuality, as an artist or dreamer or someone who's felt the death and rejection that comes with being born to the 'wrong' class or gender; I have never been able to find a solid foothold in the pantheon of famous feminist writers who to me all seemed bizarrely canonized for their whiny lamentations and suicides...I'm talking about women like Virginia Wolf, Sylvia Plath or any other of the birds of a feather born into a certain class of affluence and resources. They had so much they practically drowned in it... I am so happy to have found works that finally ties rocks around the necks of all those cross-eyed hens, forever drowning out the stunted development that is inevitable to any woman who choses to bathe in those worn out and infantile stories of perceived persecutions and false liberations. Ana Castillo, Gloria Anzaldua, Clarissa Pinkola Estes, and others like them...are wildly strong and unrelenting yet compassionate and gentle in the way they mother the young and seeking and have what it takes to teach those with narrow eyes to expand their field of vision. Resilient, truthful, unashamedly spiritual and heart felt with an uncommon wit and brazen nerve to laugh off the man-children who mock them and the stroking concubines who help raise them. This is the 'change' we need. Nothing ineffectual, passive, or weak here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Massacre of the Dreamers.