Lars Guthrie's Reviews > The Hustler

The Hustler by Walter Tevis

Feb 05, 09

Read in February, 2009

A classic by an under-recognized writer. Makes me want to investigate more of Tevis. A truly American story about a man trying to invent himself--'to think of himself as an insurance salesman or a shoe clerk would have been only absurd'--driving across America's open spaces, living outside the law, but within his own code of honor. And where does he end up? Not too far away from the insurance salesman and the shoe clerk: "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." 'The Great Gatsby' placed in The Valley of Ashes. Much bleaker and more real than the movie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hustler.

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom The Queen's Gambit, about an orphaned chess prodigy, is quite good -- and I don't play chess, but this novel made me want to read more chess lit, if such a sub-genre exists.

Lars Guthrie Tom wrote: "The Queen's Gambit, about an orphaned chess prodigy, is quite good -- and I don't play chess, but this novel made me want to read more chess lit, if such a sub-genre exists."

Only other Tevis I've read in "Mockingbird," which I thought stood up well to the many dystopian novels out there. I'll have to check out "Queen's Gambit" at some point.