Greg's Reviews > Flowers in the Attic

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

Feb 07, 09

bookshelves: fiction, girls-girls-girls
Read in February, 2009

The inspiration for reading this book came from David's stellar review from a few weeks ago. I know my own review of this book will not in any way compare.

Being of middle school age in the late 1980's it seemed like the reading type girls either read V.C. Andrews or Sweet Valley High, or maybe they were reading SVH in like sixth and seventh grade and they started on V.C. Andrews in eighth grade. I don't really remember, but I do remember seeing books from these two series in the hands of lots of girls. I didn't dare speak to them so I don't know what they thought of either series. V.C. Andrews at the time sort of appealed to me only because I was on a steady diet of Stephen King books and for some inexplicable reason the V.C. Andrews books were shelved in the same Horror sections at the book stores. I figured there must be something cool about them, like horror for girls or something, but I didn't pay too much attention to them. How little did I know about the books? Well I might have heard they were about incest, but it wasn't until reading David's review that the incest thing actually struck me.

After reading Flowers in the Attic I'm confused about why this would be placed in the horror section. There is little that would classify this book as horror. Incest might be horrific and the treatment of the children in the book is certainly cruel and unusual but there isn't much horror or even real terror going on in the book. Maybe because the horror is only beginning in this book (as it says on the inside front cover in the few word description for each of the novels in the series) the real horror will pop up in books 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Will I read those to find out if the horror really gets going? I don't know. Part of me says no. I have delved into the psyche of teen girls enough for now, and instead I'll return to reading depressing post-war German authors. Another part of me says of course I'll read at least the next one. Most books in a series end in someway that make you want to read on to find out the answers to questions left unanswered, or from some kind of cliffhanger like quality. Not this one though. For me I can't see where the story is going to go next. I don't believe that there is enough fodder or momentum to sustain another book, nevermind another four books. My only guess is that the hapless children will get themselves locked up once again somewhere and some more incest will happen. Or something like that.

The content of this book was sort of disappointing. From the comments people made about the book I was expecting it to be dirtier, instead it turned out pretty tame with more stolen glances and shy looks then actual good ol' Southern incest. On the plus side after a painful first chapter loaded down with pedantic dialog the book became pretty readable and dare I say enjoyable once it got going.

20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers in the Attic.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha. You actually read this! Bravo.

karen the other books just have more incest and ballet and death and quite frankly, less horror than f.i.t.a. but more sex. and comeuppance

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

People made it sound dirtier because they read it while virgins during the school dance years of their lives. It was more shocking, then.

Greg I've got to give the dirty middle school reading prize of the late 80's to the boys with the orgy scene in It, much more graphic than anything in Flowers in the Attic.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I remember reading "Go Ask Alice" in 7th grade and being shocked by the drug use and lose living and dang, she even walked in on her boyfriend having gay sex! Scandalous.

My friend Amy and I had been reading her mom's bedside stand fare for a while, though, and that lessened the impact of my middle school sexbook discoveries.

karen sirens was always my favorite. its by the man who is now finishing what ludlum started. so expect jason bourne to have sex with a car windshield.

Brittni They're gothic horror, hence being in the horror section. You know, psychological problem-type horror? Only not to the H.P. Lovecraft point.

travelmel hey... can you point me in the direction of David's review? I can't find it and I don't want to lose it... the most amazing review EVER

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Well that stinks. There is no David review anymore. :(

Mariel It scared me 'cause of the grandma and I was scared of my own grandma.

message 11: by Greg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg It was a good one too.

message 12: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal There's no way that David's could be better than this. I think he took his review down because this review kicked his review's ass and then fucked it.

karen hahahaahhahahaa

nice.

this will summon him.

karen dude - and for all his talk about how he will vote for reviews that praise him.

he did not.

message 15: by Greg (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greg David voted for this, but it was old David, the same one that made the first comment in the thread. The vote went away when that David died though.

karen oh. i am failing all over the internet tonight.

message 17: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal It was for the best. That David used words like "Bravo."

Mariel This review iis the Goliath of VC Andrews reviews.

karen how has he not been summoned by this??