LJ's Reviews > Three Weeks To Say Goodbye

Three Weeks To Say Goodbye by C.J. Box

Feb 05, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: contemporary_post_1945, colorado, male_author, psychological_thriller, montana
Read in January, 2009

THREE WEEKS TO SAY GOODBYE (Thriller-Jack and Melissa McGuane-CO-Cont) - Poor
Box, C.J. – Standalone
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2009, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780312365721

First Sentence: It was Saturday morning, November 3, and the first thing I noticed when I entered my office was that my telephone message light was blinking.

Jack and Melissa McGuane finally have the child they longed for having adopted Angelina nine months ago. Their dream has become a nightmare as they are told the baby’s father never signed away his parental rights. It’s not, they find, the boy who wants the child, but his father.

Judge John Moreland is wealthy, powerful and very connected in Denver and beyond. What he wants, he generally gets, and he has the law on his side. It is clear there is no way Jack and Melissa and fight Moreland within the system. With the help of two of his childhood friends, they find the son runs with gang members, the Judge is not as upstanding as he appears and the combination is very dangerous.

It is so frustrating when you are a fan of an author’s writing, and then they disappoint. Box is a very good writer. His style was there; the ability to draw the reader in from the beginning, increasing the tension with every step and bringing it to a dramatic climax. The sense of place was strong and the dialogue worked.

What let me down; was the plot and the characters. Hackneyed and ludicrous are words that come to mind for the plot. The story was so contrived and I knew where it was going every step along the way. There were no surprises. The characters were black or while; there were no shades of gray at all.

They only thing that remotely saved it for me was the last chapter. If you are looking for an airplane book to distract you for a few hours, this will do. If you are expecting something up to Box’s usual standard, I expect you will be very disappointed.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Weeks To Say Goodbye.

05/21 marked as: read

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Thank you for your honesty. I like Box, too. Will spare myself .

message 2: by LJ (new) - rated it 1 star

LJ You're welcome, Cindy. Believe me, I hate writing reviews such as this. The good news, however, is that his new book, "The Highway" is really, really good. I have written my review up yet, but I've rated it as "Excellent".

message 3: by Dee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dee thanks for this - I was wondering in general, because several friends rave about his stuff, but i'm decidedly underwhelmed right now

Azhar Where can i download that book

message 5: by LJ (new) - rated it 1 star

LJ I'm not certain, Azhar, where you get your ebooks. Amazon has it for the Kindle.

Azhar Okay thanks.