Bookmarks Magazine's Reviews > Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed

Collapse by Jared Diamond

Feb 05, 09

Are we doomed, or can the next generation save us from ecological suicide? UCLA geography professor Diamond's provocative, interdisciplinary picture of social decline paints a bleak vision of our future. He writes well, has done impressive research, and tells fascinating stories. Yet, his thesis failed to convince many critics. He connects his stories with common themes, but often draws tenuous links between past and present, especially given today's use of technology and global markets to help solve environmental problems. Many critics also found fault with Diamond's case studies. Some primitive societies like Easter Island, for example, left few clues to their demise. Other examples, like his population-based analysis of Rwanda's genocide, raised questions about the relative role of ecological factors in societies' collapses. Finally, despite Diamond's cautious optimism about our ability to "choose" our destinies, a strain of environmental determinism runs throughout the book. You're doomed if you do__and perhaps doomed if you don't.

This is an excerpt from a review published in Bookmarks magazine.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collapse.