Meredith's Reviews > Faerie Lord

Faerie Lord by Herbie Brennan

Feb 12, 09

Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I liked this series on the whole. Brennan has an irreverent tone and a wit about him that I find refreshing in an epic fantasy. At the heart of the story, the plot of this series is not terribly original, but I'll give it to the author that he spins it out in an interesting, entertaining way.

I was entertained by this book, but I was left with some questions that ultimately left me unsatisfied. The happy ending for the main characters overshadowed the loose ends. I felt that it was written hastily, and I wished that time had been taken to finalize a few things. The motivations of the Monastery, for one. Loki's motivations (if he has those). What ever happened to Chalkhill's bargaining chip? Why did Lorquin just vanish out of the story? If Blue felt so guilty about plunging her country into civil war, wouldn't she have felt a little more conflicted about abandoning her post during a state of emergency to find Henry? What was Hairstreak's Order doing, and what did it have to do with God (I assume the Angel had something to do with it, but it's never clearly explained!).

On the whole, it seemed like the last third of the book and the conclusion were rather hastily written. The ideas were creative, the execution was sloppy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faerie Lord.