Dina's Reviews > The Highlander's Touch

1918270
Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: time-travel, paranormal-romance
Read in April, 2009

Now I understand why "everyone" loves this series! :)

Circenn Brodie is one of the most "delicious" heroes I've ever met. Truly tall, dark & handsome! The scene where Lisa finds him sleeping at her bedroom door had me melting into a puddle of love. It reminded me of a similar scene from Kinley MacGregor's Born in Sin and, come to think of it, Circenn's nickname was practically identical to MacGregor's hero's name in the same book, but I didn't mind it at all. I'm in love with Circenn and that's all that matters, LOL.

I liked Lisa too, but to a lesser extent - after all, who could top Circenn? :) Lisa was strong and brave, the perfect match for Circenn, and it was easy to relate to her indecision when she had to choose between staying with Circenn or going back to her mother. Seeing that her curiosity was the cause of her time-traveling in the first place, it was funny to see this trait of her pulling her into other "problematic" situations throughout the book.

I was never a big fan of time-travel stories, because you can really get "crazy" if you try to analyze all the possibilities behind this concept, but KMM made it work for me. When Circenn "explained" what could and what could not be changed when messing around with time-traveling, I was sold. "If one looks down the timeline, one can discern which things are irrevocable and should not be manipulated, and which things will make little difference." That said, I must admit to being slighlty annoyed with (view spoiler) Anyway, if that was to prove how much Circenn loved Lisa, it was fine by me. :)

Despite all its "flaws", I loved this book and will definitely read the rest of the series!

Random thought: I'm a bit curious about Duncan Douglas, one of the secondary characters. There was a hint of something "good" about to happen to him, but no closure. I wonder if "his" story will be told later in the series.
21 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Highlander's Touch.

04/01/2009 page 1
0.28% "The mailman delivered this "gem" today, so I´m dumping everything I´ve got to do and curling up in my bed to read it! :)" 4 comments
04/02/2009 page 113
31.74% "I love the touches of humor that KMM has inserted in the story. I got some "funny" looks from strangers at the doctor´s office this morning"
04/03/2009 page 244
68.54% "Lisa has finally accepted the fact that she´s stuck in the past. Not a hard fate, considering she´s got Circenn to "console" her. :)"

Dina My bookstore just emailed me to let me know my order has been shipped. I cannot wait to read this book! :)

MelissaB Is this your first KMM book? Circenn is a hottie, hope you enjoy it!

Dina Yes, this is my first KMM. I got so "tired" (LOL) of readers praising her books on Amazon, that I had to get them! As per your recommendation, I´m skipping the first 2 books in the series and jumping right to the 3rd.

MelissaB I think that is the best way. If you enjoy the rest of the series you can always read the first two afterwards.

BJ Rose Dina, I read the first one and enjoyed it enough to get more of the series. I also have heard that book #2 is one of the weaker ones, but I'm going for the build-up of the characters (and I was lucky enough to get them at my UBS store, or I might have taken your way).

Dina No luck for me at the UBS. :( I had to buy it new. But it looks like it will be a keeper, so I don´t fell so bad. :)

message 7: by Arch (new)

Arch Dina, when something is funny to me, the laughter will come out, no matter if I am by myself or in the midst of people.

Oh, don't let me be by myself or with people and recall a funny scene from a book, commerical, TV show or even movie. For sure I will be rolling in laughter. IMHO, things can be even funnier, during a recollection.

message 8: by MelissaB (last edited Apr 03, 2009 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB Desert Island Keeper status - YEAH!!!!! Just wait until you read the rest, if you liked this one you will probably like the others. I LOVE Dageus and Cian.

Dina I stayed up last night to finish it - I was that desperate to see how they would "solve" the time-travel issue - and, you know, I´m already rereading my favorite parts. That´s crazy, LOL!

message 10: by MelissaB (last edited Apr 03, 2009 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB Next up is one Drustan MacKeltar - Kiss of the Highlander is even funnier than this one! ***Dreamy Sigh*** I love these books!

message 11: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina I was wondering if I should read Kiss of the Highlander or another entirely different book/author next, but it looks like there´s no contest. Thanks, Melissa! :)

MelissaB The heroine Gwen is on the lookout for her cherry picker (yep just what you think) but when she sees Drustan she thinks he looks more like a cherry tree chopper downer

message 13: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina LOL!

Eastofoz Ahhhhh Circenn, now there's a nice bit o' honey :D

message 15: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina MelissaB quoted Circenn on her review and I have to repeat it here, just because it´s one of the best lines I´ve ever read:
"Sleep with the angels. Then come back to earth and sleep with your devil, who would burn in hell for one night in your arms."
Wow!, was Lisa´s reaction to his words. I swooned. :)

message 16: by Arch (new)

Arch This hero sounds bad! Is he a good bad boy?

message 17: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina No, Arch, he´s not bad at all! But he believes he is, because of "what" he is and the things that he can do with his powers.

message 18: by Arch (new)

Arch Dina,

I've came up with the title good bad boy. It means the hero is a good guy, who can be bad when he wants to be. Bad in a good way. Example of a hero being bad in a good way. The heroine is pregnant with his child and they are in a room and all the chairs are filled up and the hero removes a man from a chair, so that his heroine can sit down.

A good bad boy can be sassy, see red when it comes down to the heroine, et.

The hero in the book that you are reading, sounds like a good bad boy.

message 19: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Aaah, I got it!

Lady Jaye oooh yayy!!! this book and adams book are a tie for my favorite in this series. so happy you liked it!

message 21: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina It's so good to be Adam! ;)