Whitney's Reviews > The Schwa Was Here

The Schwa Was Here by Neal Shusterman

Feb 05, 09

Recommended for: Anyone who likes a unique narrative voice, or just anyone in general.
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I hadn't even heard of this book, it was recommended by my boss, who had just finished it and thought I should read it before she returned it to the library.

She was totally right. This was a fabulous book. The book starts by providing a reader of the definition of "schwa" (which are the unstressed vowels in words that seem to make very little to no sound. With this definition in mind, the reader is taken on an adventure by a unique narrator, a 13 year old boy name Antsy. The voice is colloquial, often addressing the reader directly, drags the reader into the story he is telling. The story is about how he met this kid named Calvin Schwa, and all that the subsequent friendship entailed.

While much of the story seems surreal, and might be placed in the realm of magical realism, the story is ultimately very realistic, about what ordinary kids feel in a society where ordinary is ignored for extraordinary or subordinary.

Great character development, wonderful writing, I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read something brilliant, emotional, and funny.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Schwa Was Here.