Lynne's Reviews > On the Map: A Mind-Expanding Exploration of the Way the World Looks

On the Map by Simon Garfield

Feb 06, 13

bookshelves: non-fiction, first-reads-from-goodreads, own
Read from January 08 to February 06, 2013

'On the Map' turned out to be a really, REALLY fascinating and informative book about ... well, everything to do with the world and how the maps created to chart its discovery evolved into what we have today.

When I first received and thumbed through this book, my first thought was "oh my, it's very 'text-bookish'" .. I immediately realized it wasn't going to be a book I would sit down and read cover to cover in one, or even several, quick sittings.
But that was okay. I kept it nearby and read a chapter or two here and there as time permitted.
It was written in a way that was quite easy to get into and understand. Sort of like listening to a great and passionate teacher or professor, whose class and subject matter is greatly amplified simply by the delivery of their knowledge.
I have to say it was fascinating to read and chock full of interesting tidbits of history, in general, as well as a thorough account of cartography throughout the ages, and additionally, this book is generously sprinkled with pertinent photos, charts and illustrations that I found just as interesting as the text around them.

'On the Map: A Mind-Expanding Exploration of the Way the World Looks' is a really great (must-read) book for cartography enthusiasts - well worth purchasing and definitely worth the time to read it.

I thoroughly enjoyed 'On the Map' and will be on the lookout for his other book - Just My Type: A Book About Fonts - as that's another subject I'd like to learn more about and I can only imagine how much more fascinating it will be from this author's point of view.

**I won this book in a GoodReads first-reads giveaway.
Thank you Goodreads and Gotham/Avery from Penguin Group (http://www.us.penguingroup.com/nf/Boo...) for this opportunity to read On the Map.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Map.

01/08/2013 page 75