Adam's Reviews > 1 Dead in Attic: After Katrina

1 Dead in Attic by Chris Rose

Mar 09, 09

bookshelves: new-orleans, history
Recommended for: Everyone, New Orleanians, Americans, Tulane Students, Gov't Officials,
Read in February, 2009

A remarkable first hand account of life in post-Katrina New Orleans.

In '1 Dead in Attic,' author Chris Rose has collected and arranged a series of his post-Katrina news articles into a truly telling book. Througout the carefully shaped chapter, Rose presents not only the many sides of life in the Big Easy but bares his own soul in doing so.

One review of this book that I came across mentioned something about New Orleans being one of those few cities that people really feel a true connection too and I couldn't agree more. The short time I spent living in New Orleans (and believe me, I plan to again return someday for hopefully a much longer time) made such an impact in my life that I will certainly never (or hopefully will not) forget a moment of it.

From the self prescribed medicinal music of ReBirth Brass Brand on Tuesday night at the Maple Leaf to cruising Lakeview and N.O.East with first time visitors, just to sort of keep 'em honest, Chris Rose captures the true spirit of what it means to 'Be a New Orleanian.' His personal and provocative accounts are not only a pleasure to read but induce a sort of jealously for a narrative style I could only dream of producing.

This is a wonderful read for anyone who asks the questions 'How is New Orleans doing?' or perhaps more so for those who know the answer, because they have lived there, and just need a reminder.

As a close friend recently noted that New Orleans almost always has been and always will be rebuilding. . .I just pray that 'always' is longer than many people predict.

If you've been, you know. If you haven't, go, otherwise, you just can't ever really understand. . .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1 Dead in Attic.

Quotes Adam Liked

“If there was no New Orleans, America would just be a bunch of free people dying of boredom." -Judy Deck in an e-mail sent to Chris Rose”
Chris Rose, 1 Dead in Attic: Post-Katrina Stories

“To encapsulate the notion of Mardi Gras as nothing more than a big drunk is to take the simple and stupid way out, and I, for one, am getting tired of staying stuck on simple and stupid.

Mardi Gras is not a parade. Mardi Gras is not girls flashing on French Quarter balconies. Mardi Gras is not an alcoholic binge.

Mardi Gras is bars and restaurants changing out all the CD's in their jukeboxes to Professor Longhair and the Neville Brothers, and it is annual front-porch crawfish boils hours before the parades so your stomach and attitude reach a state of grace, and it is returning to the same street corner, year after year, and standing next to the same people, year after year--people whose names you may or may not even know but you've watched their kids grow up in this public tableau and when they're not there, you wonder: Where are those guys this year?

It is dressing your dog in a stupid costume and cheering when the marching bands go crazy and clapping and saluting the military bands when they crisply snap to.

Now that part, more than ever.

It's mad piano professors converging on our city from all over the world and banging the 88's until dawn and laughing at the hairy-shouldered men in dresses too tight and stalking the Indians under Claiborne overpass and thrilling the years you find them and lamenting the years you don't and promising yourself you will next year.

It's wearing frightful color combination in public and rolling your eyes at the guy in your office who--like clockwork, year after year--denies that he got the baby in the king cake and now someone else has to pony up the ten bucks for the next one.

Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once.”
Chris Rose, 1 Dead in Attic: Post-Katrina Stories

“...as bad as it is here, it's better than being somewhere else."

-Chris Rose, regarding life in Post-Katrina New Orleans”