Lee's Reviews > My Family and Other Animals

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

Feb 04, 2009

bookshelves: biographies-and-memoirs, buddy-reads, own, non-fiction, funneh, animals, 2010-reads
Read from January 14 to 25, 2010

February group read with OLBC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Family and Other Animals.

01/14/2010 page 3
show 5 hidden updates…

Lisa Vegan What's OLBC? I loved this book when I was around 12-13!!!

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee It's a very small, private book club. We are going to read this in February! Did you find it funny?

Lisa Vegan Yes, funny, but mostly interesting. I probably haven't read it since I was 13 or 14.

Melody This is one of my desert island books! I love it with all my heart. I hope you do too. :-)

Lisa Vegan Melody, I guess I need to reread it. I still have my (my mother's) copy somewhere. I do remember it was a 5 star book and I read it a few times but all between the ages of 11 or 12 to 13 or 14.

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Oh Great, thanks Melody and Lisa! I'm really looking forward to it now.

Lisa Vegan Abigail, I don't know. I might like to see it if there was.

message 8: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Great! After I read this in February, I'll see if I can get a hold of a copy. Thanks for finding that Abigail.

Lisa Vegan Thanks, Abigail! I'll see if my library has it. If not, I'll check Netflix.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Everyone,

My Family & Other Animals [2005:] [DVD:] is available from Amazon.co.uk

Synopsis
A warm, magical and nostalgic adaptation of Gerald Durrell's renowned autobiography. Escaping the dreary weather of 1930s England, the eccentric Durrell family uproot and ship themselves off to the sun-drenched Greek island of Corfu. With the help of larger-than-life local taxi-driver Spiro, the family, headed by the Oscar-nominated Imelda Staunton, move to a succession of different, fantastically coloured villas dotted across the landscape. While Margo fights off the advances of would-be suitors, gun-crazy Leslie blasts the island's bird life to smithereens and overbearing intellectual Larry invites a stream of artistic types to stay, young Gerald explores the glorious scenery and the wildlife it has to offer. Watching one sort of the animal kingdom in their natural habitat allows Gerald to learn more incisively about the habits of an altogether different group: his own family. Adapted by Simon Nye (Pride, Men Behaving Badly, The Savages), from the book by Gerald Durrell.

I watched it a few weeks ago, it's wonderful.

message 11: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Joanne, I'm glad to hear the movie was wonderful! I'll have to get a copy and watch now that I've read the book. It was very funny.

message 12: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Sounds like a delightful book and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Do you think it's one guys would like? I'm always looking for books my husband and I can read together. He loves animals and books, so this sounds like a good one!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Kathryn, It's definitely one guys would like!!!

message 14: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Totally! It's about a boy and his love of animals.

message 15: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Excellent, thanks! :-)