Madeline's Reviews > The Man Died: Prison Notes of Wole Soyinka

The Man Died by Wole Soyinka

Mar 24, 09

bookshelves: 50-poc-in-2009, 2009, library-books, memoir, non-fiction, books-about-books, poetry, revolution, nigeria
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

The Man Died is an intimidating book, and an excellent one. I was most impressed by the sensory detail Soyinka records. His prison experience - I suspect the same is true for other prisoners, but I don't know - leaves him with nothing but sensory details to record. So it's extremely powerful, especially when he is fasting. (He goes a little crazy.) I've only read Death and the King's Horseman and some articles, so I can't really compare with his other work, but this was easiyl the most impressive thing I've read by Soyinka so far.

However, for someone who isn't a great student of history or somewhat lacking in dates and names and things, an annotated version of The Man Died would be much better reading. I definitely didn't catch all the allusions and I would have liked to. But there probably isn't an annotated version out yet.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Died.

03/11/2009 page 12
3.79% "I testify to the strange, sinister byways of the mind in solitar confinement, to the strange monsters it begets."
03/22/2009 page 148
46.69% "'The politicians?' 'No, my Ibo friends. Most of them were to blame for their own suffering. They couldn't say they had no warning.'"
show 3 hidden updates…