CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?'s Reviews > The Girl with No Shadow

The Girl with No Shadow by Joanne Harris

Feb 04, 09

bookshelves: familyconflict, fantasy, fiction-for-women, magical-realism, just-plain-good, food-related-fiction, out-of-the-ordinary
Recommended for: fans of french fiction, fans of Good books, Chocolat/Harris fnas
Read in February, 2009

If Chocolat was Dark Chocolate with a creamy milk chocolate filling then The Girl with No Shadow is a Dark Chocolate truffle with a smooth creamy finish.

"The Girl..." is not a simple tale. It's a complex tale that mirrors life and the way we interact with each other, the things we choose not to see, the choices we make because we believe them to be right and the ultimate decision of getting back to that place within yourself that truly represents who you are.

It's about love, vengeance, family, longing, truths and half-truths, growing up and expanding. To me the story is a darker and sadder tale than it's predecessor and while it ends on a realistic enough note, it doesn't completely satisfy you. When you're finished with this story you realize that the journey is never ending and while life is never about an ending that is given to you in a neat little bow, it is about making your own magic and being happy with what you have.

I leave it up to you to finish and try to decipher my meanings. I'm in love with this book (I'm biased because I love Joanne Harris) and if you've read Chocolat then you will appreciate this book.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl with No Shadow.

Quotes CJ - So, you wanna play with magic? Liked

Joanne Harris
“The real magic - the magic we'd lived with all our lives, my mother's magic of charms and cantrips, of salt by the door and a red silk sachet to placate the little gods - had turned sour on us that summer, somehow, like a spider that turns from good luck to bad at the stroke of midnight, spinning its web to catch our dreams. And for every little spell of charm, for every card dealt and every rune cast and every sign scratched against a doorway to divert the path of malchance, the wind just blew a little harder, tugging at our clothes, sniffing at us like a hungry dog, moving us here and moving us there.”

Joanne Harris
“A man who casts no shadow isn't really a man at all.”

Joanne Harris
“Everything comes home, my mother used to say; every word spoken, every shadow cast, every footprint in the sand. It can't be helped; it's part of what makes us who we are. ”

Joanne Harris
“We came in the wind of the carnival. A wind of change, or promises. The merry wind, the magical wind, making March hares of everyone, tumbling blossoms and coat-tails and hats; rushing towards summer in a frenzy of exuberance.”

Joanne Harris
“Like a domestic cat, purring on the sofa by day, but by night, a strutting queen, a natural killer, disdainful of her other life.”

Joanne Harris
“If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.”

Joanne Harris
“Children are knives, my mother once said. They don’t mean to, but they cut. And yet we cling to them, don’t we, we clasp them until the blood flows.”