Fizzgig76's Reviews > Secret Invasion

Feb 04, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: graphic-novels-and-trade-paperbacks
Read in February, 2009

Reprints Secret Invasion #1-8 (April 2008-January 2009). The Avengers have uncovered that the Skrulls are among us. Now no one can be trusted. As the Skrull make their attempt to grab the planet, the heroes of the world must unite after the Civil War in the hopes of stopping the Skrulls before Earth is overcome.

Secret Invasion was penned by New Avengers and Mighty Avengers writer Brian Michael Bendis and penciled by Leinil Yu (Mark Morales inked the story). Secret Invasion was a massive seller for Marvel and turned into one of the biggest comic events of the year.

To put it bluntly, I don't like Secret Invasion (nor did I like the previous "big crossover event" Civil War). The story is confusing as hell and has no direction for most of the arc. I am also not a fan of Yu's art. It looks underdeveloped, blocky, and with the inking and coloring it looks like everyone has pink-eye. Civil War at least had a solid first issue, Secret Invasion starts out with most of the characters acting like asses (and Bendis' dialogue is horrible) and the big climatic fight reminds me of the lame fight in the mud puddle at the end of Matrix Revolutions. It was a big build up to a bad fight (that also took out the Wasp for some unknown reason).

The problem with the big crossover style is that writers like Bendis have forgotten the point of a limited series. The series is suppose to make sense in the context of the series. Secret Invasion makes no sense unless you are reading the New Avengers and Mighty Avengers and all the associated titles. Marvel's original Secret Wars is a great example of how a big series should be done. It had tons and tons of tie in comics, but they were stand alone and enriched the plot without being necessary to readers. They drove readers to the Secret Wars storyline instead of away from it. Abnett and Lanning get that with their space crossovers, but Bendis still doesn't seem to follow it. A great example is the waste of time for the Captain Marvel Skrull. He had a big premiere and limited series that ran in conjunction with this series and then gets wasted unceremoniously...negating any point of reading the Captain Marvel limited series and confusing the hell out of people who didn't.

I love Powers and I loved Alias, but besides that Bendis I feel has really struggled with the Avengers titles. It is a bad sign that the company keeps putting faith in him to make these big epics with lasting effects. I get that he is trying to make the teams grittier, but Jessica Jones is a great example of how his attempts to turn characters "gritty". She was great in Alias but here in Secret Wars (and The Pulse) she loses her edge. Much like Bendis writing...plus it is "Whom do you trust"...not "who do you trust"...get your slogan right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Invasion.